KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Anna Masters
Published: August 16,2013
Name: Anna Masters
Position: Director of Public Relations, Neel-Schaffer Inc.
Anna Masters has two lives, both involving public relations.
By day, the Atlanta native is director of public relations for Neel-Schaffer, one of the South’s most esteemed engineering firms.
By night, she is “Anna Bombination” throwing elbows and streaking down the track as the publicist for the Magnolia Roller Vixens, Jackson’s tough-as-nails all-girl roller derby team.
“I started playing when I moved to Jackson and found it to be addictive and one heck of an outlet,” Masters says. “The women on the team are some of the most amazing people I have ever met. They come from all different backgrounds and professions. Some are teachers, doctors, program managers, you name it, but once they get on the track, they become your pack. It is one of the most challenging sports I have ever played.”
After earning a mass communication degree from the University of West Georgia, Masters landed her “dream job” at CNN in Atlanta, helping report on major world events like the 2000 presidential election, the death of Pope John Paul II, the 2004 tsunami and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
“I was actually present in the newsroom the night of ‘shock and awe,’ and to say it was exhilarating watching the images come across the feed would be an understatement,” Masters says.
In addition to representing Neel-Schaffer, Masters childhood dream to be a marine biologist was recently filled assisting the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality’s cleanup of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
“The fact that we are trying to do all we can to make the environment whole makes me feel good about what I do every morning when I get up,” she says.
“When I was looking for work, my grandmother once told me, if you throw enough mud at a wall, something is bound to stick,” Masters advises young professionals. “Today’s market isn’t great but it’s going to get better. Patience and perseverance is key.”
Best thing about Mississippi: The Magnolia Roller Vixens
Best Mississippi event: The Canton Flea Market
Favorite Mississippi food: “When I first moved to Mississippi I had no idea how to eat a crawfish but I learned quick and continue to prefect this skill.”
Favorite TV show: “The Walking Dead”
Favorite movie: “28 Days Later”
Favorite music: Madonna
Heroes or mentors: “My mom. She is made of nails.”
Favorite hang out spots: “My house, the flea market or on the roller derby track.”
First job ever: “Lifeguard. I got a tan, hung out at the pool and got paid. It still may be one of the best jobs I have ever had.”
Twitter handle: @annarosanadanna
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments