More rain expected in parts of Coast that saw weekend flooding
Published: August 19,2013
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Forecasters say there could be more rain this week in parts of south Mississippi hit with flash flooding over the weekend.
Heavy rainfall over the weekend caused flooding in areas including Long Beach, Gulfport and Biloxi.
Authorities said some areas of Gulfport recorded more than 6 inches of rain Sunday.
William Harold, a Gulfport resident, said two inches of water came inside his house when water inundated his neighborhood.
Gulfport firefighters had to rescue stranded motorists, including some on U.S. 90.
The American Red Cross sent staff and volunteers to pass out cleanup supplies and authorities gave out sandbags.
The National Weather Service says some of the same areas could get more rain at times throughout the week.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- The Blues and higher education — Delta State launches the International Delta Blues Project
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Singing River shutting doors on two Coast clinics
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62