More rain expected in parts of Coast that saw weekend flooding
Published: August 19,2013
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Forecasters say there could be more rain this week in parts of south Mississippi hit with flash flooding over the weekend.
Heavy rainfall over the weekend caused flooding in areas including Long Beach, Gulfport and Biloxi.
Authorities said some areas of Gulfport recorded more than 6 inches of rain Sunday.
William Harold, a Gulfport resident, said two inches of water came inside his house when water inundated his neighborhood.
Gulfport firefighters had to rescue stranded motorists, including some on U.S. 90.
The American Red Cross sent staff and volunteers to pass out cleanup supplies and authorities gave out sandbags.
The National Weather Service says some of the same areas could get more rain at times throughout the week.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years