More rain expected in parts of Coast that saw weekend flooding
Published: August 19,2013
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Forecasters say there could be more rain this week in parts of south Mississippi hit with flash flooding over the weekend.
Heavy rainfall over the weekend caused flooding in areas including Long Beach, Gulfport and Biloxi.
Authorities said some areas of Gulfport recorded more than 6 inches of rain Sunday.
William Harold, a Gulfport resident, said two inches of water came inside his house when water inundated his neighborhood.
Gulfport firefighters had to rescue stranded motorists, including some on U.S. 90.
The American Red Cross sent staff and volunteers to pass out cleanup supplies and authorities gave out sandbags.
The National Weather Service says some of the same areas could get more rain at times throughout the week.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast