More rain expected in parts of Coast that saw weekend flooding
Published: August 19,2013
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Forecasters say there could be more rain this week in parts of south Mississippi hit with flash flooding over the weekend.
Heavy rainfall over the weekend caused flooding in areas including Long Beach, Gulfport and Biloxi.
Authorities said some areas of Gulfport recorded more than 6 inches of rain Sunday.
William Harold, a Gulfport resident, said two inches of water came inside his house when water inundated his neighborhood.
Gulfport firefighters had to rescue stranded motorists, including some on U.S. 90.
The American Red Cross sent staff and volunteers to pass out cleanup supplies and authorities gave out sandbags.
The National Weather Service says some of the same areas could get more rain at times throughout the week.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- Report: Mississippi has worst child poverty rate in U.S.
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders