Man gets probation, fine for role in frozen chicken case
Published: August 21,2013
Tags: agriculture, bench, Chicken, court, export, exporter, exporting, fine, food, Gerald Miller, Gulf Coast Cold Storage, international trade, judge, judicial, judiciary, justice, law, legal, Patrick McClain, Port of Pascagoula, poultry, probation, sentence, sentencing, Terry White
OCEAN SPRINGS — A man charged with falsifying temperatures of poultry exported from Pascagoula to Russia has been sentenced to three years on probation and a $2,000 fine.
Terry White of Ocean Springs was indicted in the case along with two others, Gerald Miller of Gautier and Patrick McClain of Pascagoula.
White pleaded guilty in the case. The others were acquitted at trial.
They were charged with circumventing a trade agreement while working for Gulf Coast Cold Storage at the Port of Pascagoula.
They had been accused of conspiring to increase productivity by instructing workers to remove poultry from blast freezers before the poultry reached the required temperature for export in 2009.
White was sentenced Monday in U.S. District Court in Gulfport.
White had been charged with five counts. Four of those counts were dismissed when he pleaded guilty to conspiracy. He had faced a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
According to court records, White was a warehouse supervisor for Gulf Coast Cold Storage in 2009 when he conspired to violate the trade agreement by authorizing the export of poultry at lower temperatures than required.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics