Developer proposes new hotels, restaurants, office building
Published: August 22,2013
Tags: Ascent Hospitality Management Co., city, city council, City of Meridian, Commercial Real Estate, community development, construction, councilman, economic development, hotel restaurant, John Tampa, municipal, municipality, office building, real estate, real estate development
MERIDIAN — Two new hotels and two restaurants are on the drawing board for Meridian.
Developer John Tampa of Ascent Hospitality Management Co. told the Meridian City Council that he wants to build a Marriot Fairfield Inn and Suites, a Marriott TownePlace Suites, an office building and two restaurants on a 16-acre site off Interstate 20.
Tampa tells The Meridian Star the plans are not firm, but he is moving ahead.
Tampa’s company is based in Buford, Ga., and owns and manages more than 20 hotels.
In a proposal he gave to council members, Tampa asks for several concessions on access and infrastructure which he says will help get the projects moving.
Among other things, he wants the city to waive the construction building permit, build an access road to the site and maintain it, install light poles for the road and provide water and sewer service to the site.
Tampa said about 90 construction jobs would be created over about 2 years and 43 permanent jobs would be created by the end of 2014. He estimates the development would generate $167,000 in annual property taxes and $630,000 in annual sales tax revenue.
The council has asked to meet with Tampa at a work session on the project. No date has been set.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Attorney McRae challenging Miss. treasurer in GOP primary
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- Choctaws' new hospital nearing completion
- Judge names receiver for KiOR plant, but tax payment unclear
- Rival plans filed to end Cleveland schools federal oversight
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- Ecolab reducing Columbus workforce
- (VIDEO) ALAN TURNER: Wilson says he’s ready for elected office
- Production under way at Grammer AG in Tupelo