MDEQ monitoring bayou cleanup after discharge kills fish
by Associated Press
Published: August 22,2013
Tags: agriculture, Bayou Cassotte, cleanup, contamination, ecosystem, environment, fertilizer, fish, fish kill, manufacture, manufacturer, manufacturing, Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality, Mississippi Phosphate Corp., pollution, state agency, wildlife
JACKSON COUNTY — The fish kill caused by low pH levels in Bayou Casotte has left a mess, and the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality and Mississippi Phosphates Corp. are working to clean up the bayou.
MDEQ spokesman Robbie Wilbur tells The Sun Herald the agency is monitoring the cleanup and will let residents know when the pH levels are once again safe for fishing.
Johnson said the discharge lasted 24 hours and followed federal and state regulations. The process water was untreated and the pH levels were low, which could be related to the fish kill caused by low pH levels.
Mississippi Phosphates is working to clean up the dead fish in the bayou which includes popeye mullet, catfish and croaker.
The MDEQ will continue to monitor the situation and report the exact pH levels after more testing.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data