Keeping Our Eye On Nick Wallace
Name: Nick Wallace
Position: Executive Chef,
Company: King Edward Hotel
When “Best Chefs America” featured Nick Wallace along with other outstanding chefs in the state, it was just more validation for the Edwards-born foodie.
“With my deep Mississippi roots, I love to turn the tables and give an unexpected twist to create new Southern favorites,” Wallace says. “If I could invite people to my home every evening to cook for them I would do just that.”
Wallace says he wants his diners to savor with each dish not only his Mississippi roots but the pride he takes in delivering some of the best food in the Capitol City.
Wallace is a 1998 graduate of Hinds Community College and his first restaurant job was at Fernando’s near the Ross Barnett Reservoir followed by the Marriot Hotel in downtown Jackson.
Mentoring younger chefs and developing a future line of his own restaurants are two things that Wallace says he hopes to be doing as he continues in his career.
“My passion is to develop younger chefs to discover their own talents in the same way I was taught,” he says.
When he’s not in the kitchen, Wallace enjoys relaxing with a good book, volunteering at the Boys & Girls Club and writing up recipes. He also visits Jackson public schools each year to teach about community garden work, “farm to table” meals and healthy eating.
Heroes: John Besh, John Currence, John T. Edge, Derek Emerson, Marcus Samuelsson
Favorite hang out spots: Downtown Jackson, New Orleans
Favorite Mississippi food: Okra
Favorite TV show: “House”
Twitter handle: @reflectionchef
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager