MDEQ issues another beach closure on Coast
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 26,2013
Tags: beach, closure, environment, fish, fishing, Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality, outdoors, public health, swim, swimmer, swimming, tourism, tourist, vacation, visitor, water, water contact advisory, water pollution, water quality
HARRISON COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), through its Beach Monitoring Program, has issued a water contact advisory for a sampling station in Harrison County.
This segment of beach is not closed; however, there may be an increased risk of illness associated with swimming in this area.
MDEQ is working closely with local officials to advise residents that the
water in the following location may have high bacteria levels:
• Station 11 — Gulfport East (from Teagarden east to Anniston Avenue)
When water samples show that levels are safe for human contact, the advisory will be lifted. The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, which performs water sampling of the Mississippi Gulf Coast beaches for MDEQ, notifies the agency when an area has returned to acceptable levels.
Additionally, swimmers are reminded that the Beach Task Force has a standing recommendation that swimming not occur during or within 24 hours of a significant rainfall event.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit