Court reverses decision on BP getting oil spill insurance money
Published: August 30,2013
Tags: appeal, bench, BP, court, crude, death, decision, diesel, disaster, ecosystem, energy, environment, fatality, fuel, gasoline, gulf of mexico, insurance, judicial, judiciary, law, loegal, offshore drilling, Oil, oil rig, oil spill, petroleum, restauratn, ruling, seafood, Tansocean, tourism, tourist, vacation, visitor, wildlife
NEW ORLEANS — A federal appeals court has withdrawn its earlier ruling that BP is entitled to a portion of $750 million in coverage under a contractor’s insurance policies to help the London-based oil giant pay for costs associated with its massive 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
A three-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals yesterday substituted its previous opinion in March with two questions for the Texas Supreme Court to answer. The panel said the policy factors at issue in the case are better gauged by the state high court than by a federal court.
BP leased the drilling rig that exploded in the Gulf from Transocean Ltd. and had a contract requiring the Swiss-based drilling company to maintain minimum insurance coverages for BP’s benefit.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
3 Responses to “Court reverses decision on BP getting oil spill insurance money”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge