Schools hire help to find site for vocational center
by Associated Press
Published: August 30,2013
Tags: Commercial Real Estate, consultant, education, JBHM, Joey Henderson, Lowndes County, Lowndes County School District, Lynn Wright, public education, public school, real estate, school, school board, school district, site search, technical, vocational
COLUMBUS — The Lowndes County School District has hired a firm to recommend four possible sites for a proposed vocational center.
The Commercial Dispatch reports that the school board voted to hire Joey Henderson of JBHM in Columbus to conduct the studies.
Schools Superintendent Lynn Wright said Henderson will survey the property, determine the access and evaluate the foundation to ensure “they’re suitable sites for construction.”
Wright said the board would then determine which site was best.
Board members also voted to ask property owners to hold their land options for an additional 30 days while the studies are being made. The board will then vote on how to move forward with the vocational school. Wright said he expects construction to take up to two years.
“If we were to start on it tomorrow, it would be 18 months to two years to complete the project,” he said.
The country school district does not currently have a vocational school, a need that should be met, Wright said.
“I want to provide opportunity for our students that may not necessarily be seeking a four-year college degree.
“With the industry we have in Lowndes County, what we hope to do is build a central career tech center and work with EMCC where we could offer industry identified, career-specific courses to teach those skills where our students would be prepared to enter the workforce, for more advanced training at EMCC or a four-year institution,” Wright said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability