Presley pushing to block MEI payment by Mississippi Power customers
Published: September 11,2013
JACKSON — Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley is pushing to have $45,000 paid by Mississippi Power Company for membership to the Mississippi Energy Institute, a group recently promoting nuclear waste storage in Mississippi, excluded from payment by electric customers on the Gulf Coast.
Presley raised the issue yesterday in the Commission’s regular business meeting in Jackson.
“If the Mississippi Energy Institute is an economic development organization, then I am a spokesmodel for Slim Fast.” Presley said in the Commission’s meeting. “It is obvious to me and everyone else that the Mississippi Energy Institute is solely a lobbying organization devoted to such wild causes as making Mississippi the nation’s nuclear waste dump. If Mississippi Power wants to be a member of any lobbying group then they need to pay the dues from their corporate checkbook and not from the wallets of Gulf Coast businesses and residents.”
Presley said that if the $45,000 request was not withdrawn by Mississippi Power before the next Commission meeting, he would introduce a measure to exclude the payment. Mississippi law prohibits payments of legislative lobbying fees from being counted in public utility customer’s rates.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Presley pushing to block MEI payment by Mississippi Power customers”
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur