Presley pushing to block MEI payment by Mississippi Power customers
Published: September 11,2013
JACKSON — Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley is pushing to have $45,000 paid by Mississippi Power Company for membership to the Mississippi Energy Institute, a group recently promoting nuclear waste storage in Mississippi, excluded from payment by electric customers on the Gulf Coast.
Presley raised the issue yesterday in the Commission’s regular business meeting in Jackson.
“If the Mississippi Energy Institute is an economic development organization, then I am a spokesmodel for Slim Fast.” Presley said in the Commission’s meeting. “It is obvious to me and everyone else that the Mississippi Energy Institute is solely a lobbying organization devoted to such wild causes as making Mississippi the nation’s nuclear waste dump. If Mississippi Power wants to be a member of any lobbying group then they need to pay the dues from their corporate checkbook and not from the wallets of Gulf Coast businesses and residents.”
Presley said that if the $45,000 request was not withdrawn by Mississippi Power before the next Commission meeting, he would introduce a measure to exclude the payment. Mississippi law prohibits payments of legislative lobbying fees from being counted in public utility customer’s rates.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Presley pushing to block MEI payment by Mississippi Power customers”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- State Rep. Patterson switches from Democrats to GOP