Pat Harrison Waterway District losing a county
by Associated Press
Published: September 12,2013
BAY SPRINGS — Jasper County is withdrawing from the Pat Harrison Waterway District.
The Chronicle reports the decision came this week by the board of supervisors.
The Pat Harrison Waterway District provides flood control, water management and recreation in along rivers and their tributaries in the Pascagoula River Basin in southeastern and east central Mississippi.
State law allows counties to withdraw from waterway districts as long as they pay their portion of the district’s debt as it stands when they leave. The amount owed is determined by an audit.
PHWD operates a total of nine water parks with recreational facilities including cabins, R.V. camping sites, water slides, boat launches, shelters and nature trails.
Board of Supervisors President Curtis Gray said the board has talked about this matter since 1999.
“We don’t have a project in Jasper County,” Gray said. “The burden is on the ad valorem taxpayers.”
Board attorney Ricky Ruffin said the agency has provided the county with some assistance with drainage on county roads but it’s less than the county gives to the agency.
According to county records, Jasper County paid PHWD $140,661 during this budget year.
“Jasper County ad valorem paying citizens don’t need to be paying for the operations of parks in other counties,” Ruffin said. “Basically now, the agency handles park operations, and Jasper County does not have a park.”
Other counties in the waterway district are Clarke, Covington, Forrest, George, Greene, Jackson, Jones, Lamar, Lauderdale, Newton, Perry, Smith, Stone and Wayne.
Ruffin said the county has to notify PHWD of its intentions to withdraw to begin the process.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data