Ex-coroner gets demand for nearly $400K; PERS alerted
Published: September 13,2013
Tags: audit, auditor, coroner, demand, elected official, Mark Golding, Mississippi Auditor's Office, Mississippi Public Employment Retirement System, politician, public official, Stacey Pickering, state agency, state government, Union County
UNION COUNTY — State Auditor Stacey Pickering says special agents have served a demand to former Union County coroner Mark Golding in the amount of $398,418.83.
The Auditor’s Office began an investigation on Golding May 28 and determined that Golding submitted false claims, totaling $276,591.56, to the Union County Board of Supervisors requesting fees for deaths which he did not investigate.
In addition to submitting false claims, this information was reported to the Mississippi Public Employment Retirement System (PERS) thereby inflating his future benefits. Golding resigned as coroner June 6, and on Aug. 29 an order was issued in Union County Circuit Court freezing Golding’s retirement account.
“The civil demand issued by my office today represents the initial step to recover funds that were misappropriated,” said Pickering. “During the 90-day freeze, we intend to work with PERS to reduce these inappropriate wages and return to Union County the employer funds paid into PERS by the taxpayers.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Ex-coroner gets demand for nearly $400K; PERS alerted”
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Cannabis for the rest of us
- MARTY WISEMAN: The current racial strife and the failure to educate
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- BILL CRAWFORD: Boyce takes hot spot as IHL commissioner
- Planters Bank promotes at 3 locations
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Real Estate Forum panelists: Lenders, investors hungry for deals on residential rentals in Miss., elsewhere
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast