Ex-coroner gets demand for nearly $400K; PERS alerted
Published: September 13,2013
Tags: audit, auditor, coroner, demand, elected official, Mark Golding, Mississippi Auditor's Office, Mississippi Public Employment Retirement System, politician, public official, Stacey Pickering, state agency, state government, Union County
UNION COUNTY — State Auditor Stacey Pickering says special agents have served a demand to former Union County coroner Mark Golding in the amount of $398,418.83.
The Auditor’s Office began an investigation on Golding May 28 and determined that Golding submitted false claims, totaling $276,591.56, to the Union County Board of Supervisors requesting fees for deaths which he did not investigate.
In addition to submitting false claims, this information was reported to the Mississippi Public Employment Retirement System (PERS) thereby inflating his future benefits. Golding resigned as coroner June 6, and on Aug. 29 an order was issued in Union County Circuit Court freezing Golding’s retirement account.
“The civil demand issued by my office today represents the initial step to recover funds that were misappropriated,” said Pickering. “During the 90-day freeze, we intend to work with PERS to reduce these inappropriate wages and return to Union County the employer funds paid into PERS by the taxpayers.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Ex-coroner gets demand for nearly $400K; PERS alerted”
Top Posts & Pages
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Starkville's Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement