Ex-coroner gets demand for nearly $400K; PERS alerted
Published: September 13,2013
Tags: audit, auditor, coroner, demand, elected official, Mark Golding, Mississippi Auditor's Office, Mississippi Public Employment Retirement System, politician, public official, Stacey Pickering, state agency, state government, Union County
UNION COUNTY — State Auditor Stacey Pickering says special agents have served a demand to former Union County coroner Mark Golding in the amount of $398,418.83.
The Auditor’s Office began an investigation on Golding May 28 and determined that Golding submitted false claims, totaling $276,591.56, to the Union County Board of Supervisors requesting fees for deaths which he did not investigate.
In addition to submitting false claims, this information was reported to the Mississippi Public Employment Retirement System (PERS) thereby inflating his future benefits. Golding resigned as coroner June 6, and on Aug. 29 an order was issued in Union County Circuit Court freezing Golding’s retirement account.
“The civil demand issued by my office today represents the initial step to recover funds that were misappropriated,” said Pickering. “During the 90-day freeze, we intend to work with PERS to reduce these inappropriate wages and return to Union County the employer funds paid into PERS by the taxpayers.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Ex-coroner gets demand for nearly $400K; PERS alerted”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter