Toyota gives area schools $1M education grant
Published: September 13,2013
Tags: automaker, automobile, Blue Springs, Doug Formby, education, grant, manufacture, manufacturer, manufacturing, public education, public school, PUL Alliance, school, school district, Toyota, Toyota Mississippi
PONTOTOC — Officials of automaker Toyota handed over a $1 million education grant in ceremonies yesterday at Pontotoc Junior High School.
WTVA reported the donation is part of Toyota’s commitment of $50 million over a 10-year period to schools in counties represented by the PUL Alliance — Pontotoc, Union and Lee.
The PUL Alliance was instrumental in convincing Toyota to build a plant in Blue Springs.
The $1 million grant will be used to enhance education in each of the school systems.
In Pontotoc City Schools, for example, iPad devices will go in all elementary and high school classes along with smart board response devices for each student.
Company officials said helping schools is a part of how their company does business.
“One of our major focuses is on education. That was the intent of the $50 million grant from the very beginning. It’s to make sure we could help enhance the good work that’s already being done in northeast Mississippi,” said Doug Formby of Toyota Mississippi
The money will be used by schools for other things as well, such as buying computers for classrooms, upgrades to internet infrastructure and tutoring programs.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Toyota gives area schools $1M education grant”
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)