Toyota gives area schools $1M education grant
Published: September 13,2013
Tags: automaker, automobile, Blue Springs, Doug Formby, education, grant, manufacture, manufacturer, manufacturing, public education, public school, PUL Alliance, school, school district, Toyota, Toyota Mississippi
PONTOTOC — Officials of automaker Toyota handed over a $1 million education grant in ceremonies yesterday at Pontotoc Junior High School.
WTVA reported the donation is part of Toyota’s commitment of $50 million over a 10-year period to schools in counties represented by the PUL Alliance — Pontotoc, Union and Lee.
The PUL Alliance was instrumental in convincing Toyota to build a plant in Blue Springs.
The $1 million grant will be used to enhance education in each of the school systems.
In Pontotoc City Schools, for example, iPad devices will go in all elementary and high school classes along with smart board response devices for each student.
Company officials said helping schools is a part of how their company does business.
“One of our major focuses is on education. That was the intent of the $50 million grant from the very beginning. It’s to make sure we could help enhance the good work that’s already being done in northeast Mississippi,” said Doug Formby of Toyota Mississippi
The money will be used by schools for other things as well, such as buying computers for classrooms, upgrades to internet infrastructure and tutoring programs.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Toyota gives area schools $1M education grant”
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- The link between education and economic development