Commission approves measure banning guns from parks, centers
Published: September 16,2013
OXFORD — The Oxford Park Commission has voted to put up signs indicating that guns are not allowed at Oxford’s parks and activity centers.
Deputy director Bubba Robinson told the commission that guns have dropped out of bags in the Oxford Activity Center in the past. Robinson said he believes it’s time for the commission to restrict firearms from city recreational areas.
The vote came during a meeting last week.
City Attorney Paul Watkins said public parks are one of the few areas where firearms can be restricted under the state open carry law.
However, The Oxford Eagle reports that Watkins said a few questions remain, such as whether concealed or enhanced concealed permit holders are subject to regulation. Watkins said an Attorney General’s opinion was pending on those issues.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image