Legislators to conduct public hearings on FY2015 budget
Published: September 16,2013
Tags: appropriation, budget, Herb Frierson, Joint Legislative Budget Committee, lawmaker, legislative, legislator, Medicaid, Mississiippi Adequate Education Program, Mississippi Legislature, public hearing, state government
JACKSON — Mississippi lawmakers are holding public hearings this week to start setting priorities for the next state budget.
Fiscal year 2015 begins next July 1.
Agency directors will appear today through Thursday before the 14-member Joint Legislative Budget Committee. They’ll request money for schools, highways, prisons, Medicaid and other services.
The hearings are being held on the first floor of the Woolfolk state office building, near the Capitol.
House Appropriations Chairman Herb Frierson says he wants to increase spending for education, from kindergarten through universities. But he says the chances of fully funding the Mississippi Adequate Education Program are “slim to none.”
MAEP is a complex formula designed to give elementary and secondary schools enough money to meet midlevel academic standards.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters