Fire forces Alabama company to relocate plant to state
by Associated Press
Published: September 17,2013
Tags: Charles Jones, disaster, Double Springs Alabama, economic development, emergency, employee, employer, employment, factory, fire, furniture, incentive, job, job creation, lightning, manufacture, manufacturer, manufacturing, mattress, Mississippi Development Authority, plant, Plantersville, Posturecraft Mattress Co., Steve Holland, Tupelo Furniture Market, Weather, work, worker
PLANTERSVILLE — A mattress maker will relocate its operations to a vacant facility near Tupelo after lightning sparked a fire that destroyed its Double Springs, Ala., factory.
Posturecraft Mattress Co. will open a plant in the former location of National Mattress Co. in Plantersville, with plans to hire 125 to 150 people, state Rep. Steve Holland says.
The company will invest $1.75 million according to the Mississippi Development Authority. The state will provide $100,000 for facility improvements and a $50,000 worker training grant.
Posturecraft owner Charles Jones has been in the mattress business since at least 1991, according to Alabama corporate records.
The company makes bedding for homes and medical facilities. It has been a longtime exhibitor at the Tupelo Furniture Market, where companies sell to furniture buyers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip