Road to dam cracks; officials find no other damage
Published: September 17,2013
PURVIS — Lamar County officials say a crack has been discovered on the roadway that runs on the Canebrake dam but no other damage or seepage has been found on either side of the dam.
The Canebrake Homeowners Association is lowering the water level while the roadway is closed for repairs.
Canebrake Lake spans about 257 acres, with an average depth of about 22 feet. While the crack mainly was localized to the roadway, an initial test indicated that it ran at least 4 feet deep beneath the road surface in at least one area.
Officials said that they had inspected the dam on both its up-stream and down-stream sides and found no indication of wet spots, seepage or top soil sloughing.
Canebrake officials found the crack Monday and notified the county.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Tax slasher productions comes to Mississippi
- Status of some bills in the Mississippi Legislature
- Proposed ammo ban empties shelves
- Locker doors opening for Clinton inventor after ‘Shark Tank’
- Hattiesburg wastewater treatment system could cost $152M
- BILL CRAWFORD: Gunn steals tax cut spotlight
- Columbus-built Airbus gets FAA airworthiness approval
- Bill would make only 1 hospital follow open-meetings act
- Olive Branch votes to issue $8 million in bonds