Road to dam cracks; officials find no other damage
Published: September 17,2013
PURVIS — Lamar County officials say a crack has been discovered on the roadway that runs on the Canebrake dam but no other damage or seepage has been found on either side of the dam.
The Canebrake Homeowners Association is lowering the water level while the roadway is closed for repairs.
Canebrake Lake spans about 257 acres, with an average depth of about 22 feet. While the crack mainly was localized to the roadway, an initial test indicated that it ran at least 4 feet deep beneath the road surface in at least one area.
Officials said that they had inspected the dam on both its up-stream and down-stream sides and found no indication of wet spots, seepage or top soil sloughing.
Canebrake officials found the crack Monday and notified the county.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Fair cabins becoming more valuable, sources say
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Tyler Raborn finds success and fulfillment with Raborn Media
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Cal-Maine strikes joint venture deal with Arizona company
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau