Road to dam cracks; officials find no other damage
Published: September 17,2013
PURVIS — Lamar County officials say a crack has been discovered on the roadway that runs on the Canebrake dam but no other damage or seepage has been found on either side of the dam.
The Canebrake Homeowners Association is lowering the water level while the roadway is closed for repairs.
Canebrake Lake spans about 257 acres, with an average depth of about 22 feet. While the crack mainly was localized to the roadway, an initial test indicated that it ran at least 4 feet deep beneath the road surface in at least one area.
Officials said that they had inspected the dam on both its up-stream and down-stream sides and found no indication of wet spots, seepage or top soil sloughing.
Canebrake officials found the crack Monday and notified the county.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House