Road to dam cracks; officials find no other damage
Published: September 17,2013
PURVIS — Lamar County officials say a crack has been discovered on the roadway that runs on the Canebrake dam but no other damage or seepage has been found on either side of the dam.
The Canebrake Homeowners Association is lowering the water level while the roadway is closed for repairs.
Canebrake Lake spans about 257 acres, with an average depth of about 22 feet. While the crack mainly was localized to the roadway, an initial test indicated that it ran at least 4 feet deep beneath the road surface in at least one area.
Officials said that they had inspected the dam on both its up-stream and down-stream sides and found no indication of wet spots, seepage or top soil sloughing.
Canebrake officials found the crack Monday and notified the county.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- Ecolab reducing Columbus workforce
- State's ventures into alt-fuel markets net few jobs
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- BILL CRAWFORD — More jobs, but fewer with jobs, huh?
- Lab owner loses challenge to 40 months in waste case
- MSU-CVM professor leads major reference publication
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Watch out for wildlife while driving on roads, highways