Road to dam cracks; officials find no other damage
by Associated Press
Published: September 17,2013
PURVIS — Lamar County officials say a crack has been discovered on the roadway that runs on the Canebrake dam but no other damage or seepage has been found on either side of the dam.
The Canebrake Homeowners Association is lowering the water level while the roadway is closed for repairs.
Canebrake Lake spans about 257 acres, with an average depth of about 22 feet. While the crack mainly was localized to the roadway, an initial test indicated that it ran at least 4 feet deep beneath the road surface in at least one area.
Officials said that they had inspected the dam on both its up-stream and down-stream sides and found no indication of wet spots, seepage or top soil sloughing.
Canebrake officials found the crack Monday and notified the county.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Two companies fined for violations of 'No-Call' law
- Palmertree blocked from using public funds for legal defense
- Report: Mississippi only state to see drop in home prices
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- John Ferrucci'a perfect voice is perfect for the Silver Slipper Casino
- City suing Hercules for pollution at shuttered plant site
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Ex-Democrat Taylor cleared to run in primary as Republican
- Rankin chosen as new president of Alcorn State