Vacant federal office building could convert to mixed-use space
Published: September 18,2013
JACKSON — The James O. Eastland Federal Building in downtown Jackson may be converted into apartments and commercial space.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that developers say the project would cost $20 million.
The 115,000-square-foot space has sat vacant since Aug. 1, 2011, following the opening of the new federal courthouse.
Built in 1934 by the Jackson-based architectural firm Hull and Malvaney, the courthouse replaced an earlier one built on the same property. The building also housed a post office until the post office relocated in 1988.
The building is also home to three-panel mural unveiled in 1940, depicting a white family in front of a plantation-style home along with faceless black people picking cotton. The judges of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ordered the mural covered years later.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Ikea confirms plan for Memphis store
- McCrory joins Epps in asking for trial delay
- Former Lane Furniture plant sold for $1.45 million
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- OUR VIEW: JRA evolving toward transparency? Maybe, maybe not