Great River Road celebration set for 75th anniversary
by Associated Press
Published: September 19,2013
Tags: anniversary, celebration, culture, Great River Road, Heritage, highway, history, infrastructure, Mississippi River, Mississippi River Parkway Commission, raod, tourism, tourist, transportation, travel, visitor
ST. LOUIS — The Great River Road, a 3,000-mile stretch of highway along the Mississippi River from Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico, is turning 75.
The Mississippi River Parkway Commission is gathering tomorrow in St. Louis to celebrate the milestone. A ceremony on the significance, economic and tourism impact of the road is planned at the riverfront stage beneath the Gateway Arch.
The commission is a multi-state organization that promotes tourism along the Great River Road. Commission officials say travelers spend more than $25 billion annually in communities on the Great River Road, supporting thousands of jobs in 10 states.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data