Great River Road celebration set for 75th anniversary
Published: September 19,2013
Tags: anniversary, celebration, culture, Great River Road, Heritage, highway, history, infrastructure, Mississippi River, Mississippi River Parkway Commission, raod, tourism, tourist, transportation, travel, visitor
ST. LOUIS — The Great River Road, a 3,000-mile stretch of highway along the Mississippi River from Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico, is turning 75.
The Mississippi River Parkway Commission is gathering tomorrow in St. Louis to celebrate the milestone. A ceremony on the significance, economic and tourism impact of the road is planned at the riverfront stage beneath the Gateway Arch.
The commission is a multi-state organization that promotes tourism along the Great River Road. Commission officials say travelers spend more than $25 billion annually in communities on the Great River Road, supporting thousands of jobs in 10 states.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments