Great River Road celebration set for 75th anniversary
Published: September 19,2013
Tags: anniversary, celebration, culture, Great River Road, Heritage, highway, history, infrastructure, Mississippi River, Mississippi River Parkway Commission, raod, tourism, tourist, transportation, travel, visitor
ST. LOUIS — The Great River Road, a 3,000-mile stretch of highway along the Mississippi River from Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico, is turning 75.
The Mississippi River Parkway Commission is gathering tomorrow in St. Louis to celebrate the milestone. A ceremony on the significance, economic and tourism impact of the road is planned at the riverfront stage beneath the Gateway Arch.
The commission is a multi-state organization that promotes tourism along the Great River Road. Commission officials say travelers spend more than $25 billion annually in communities on the Great River Road, supporting thousands of jobs in 10 states.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation