Great River Road celebration set for 75th anniversary
by Associated Press
Published: September 19,2013
Tags: anniversary, celebration, culture, Great River Road, Heritage, highway, history, infrastructure, Mississippi River, Mississippi River Parkway Commission, raod, tourism, tourist, transportation, travel, visitor
ST. LOUIS — The Great River Road, a 3,000-mile stretch of highway along the Mississippi River from Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico, is turning 75.
The Mississippi River Parkway Commission is gathering tomorrow in St. Louis to celebrate the milestone. A ceremony on the significance, economic and tourism impact of the road is planned at the riverfront stage beneath the Gateway Arch.
The commission is a multi-state organization that promotes tourism along the Great River Road. Commission officials say travelers spend more than $25 billion annually in communities on the Great River Road, supporting thousands of jobs in 10 states.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Lost Pizza discovered — Restaurateurs begin franchising
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Conservator: Schools had too many employees
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- Study says state sacrificing billions of dollars, 20,000 jobs in refusing Medicaid expansion
- Keeping our eye on ... Laurel Donahoo
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets