The humor in economics — Thad Cochran Forum on American Enterprise, to be held on Sept. 26
by Alan Turner
Published: September 20,2013
At this year’s Thad Cochran Forum on American Enterprise, to be held Thursday, Sept. 26, at the Jackson Convention Center, the focus will be partly on the lighter side of economics.
You didn’t know there was a lighter side to economics? Make your plans to attend this year’s Forum, and you’ll find yourself laughing along with a whole roomful of business and government leaders. That’s because this year’s keynote speaker will be America’s only stand-up economist, Yoram Bauman. Bauman performs regularly at colleges and corporate events, and he’s share stages with everyone from Robin Williams to Paul Krugman. For those who haven’t been exposed to his take on economic issues, it’s definitely good fun. Bauman indicates his goal is “to spread joy to the world through economic comedy and help to reform economic education.” In that regard, he’s right on track with the Mississippi Council for Economic Education, an organization dedicated to furthering economic education in Mississippi schools and “empowering children to be financially successful.” The Council has numerous programs to further these objectives, and as a non-profit, is one of the state’s most efficient and effective organizations in terms of delivering services with low administrative costs. In fact, the MCEE consistently ranks among the top 10 in the nation among all affiliated state Councils.
Also on tap to speak at this year’s event is Mississippi State Treasurer Lynn Fitch, who will share her views on economic education.
The annual Thad Cochran Forum on American Enterprise is one of MCEE’s key fundraising efforts. For more information, visit www.mscee.org to purchase tickets, or contact MCEE at (601) 974-1325.
The Forum will be held from 11:30-1:00 on Thursday, Sept. 26.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip