Leaders mull future use for old hospital
Published: September 21,2013
Tags: city council, city government, City of Picayune, Commercial Real Estate, community development, Crosby Memorial Hospital, Ed Pinero, health, health care, hospital, hospital city, Jim Luke, municipal, municipality, park, real estate, recreation
PICAYUNE — Discussion about the future of the former Crosby Memorial Hospital property will be much on the minds of city leaders in residents in Picayune over the coming months.
WLOX reported possible uses for the 5-acre site are many, but first the building must be torn down.
The city recently bought the site for $200,000 and has entered a contract for demolition of the old hospital building. The building was vacated after a new hospital was built on U.S. Highway 11 in North Picayune.
Before the building comes down, interior salvage work will be done.
The entire process should take about three month to complete.
“It will be bittersweet,” said City Manager Jim Luke. “The hospital has been here for nearly 60 years. A lot of people were born here, a lot of people worked here. But on the other hand, we think it will be great for the future of Picayune.”
“Our vision is to make this 5 acres green space for perpetual use by the citizens of Picayune,” Mayor Ed Pinero said.
One idea is to create a park.
The city is receiving other concepts for the property from Picayune residents.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference