Grocery store to open in tornado-torn town
by Associated Press
Published: September 22,2013
Tags: community development, disaster recovery, Donny Postell, economic development, Gregg Kennedy, grocer, grocery store, ithvile, natural disaster, Postell Meat Market, tornado, town, Town of S, Weather
SMITHVILLE — Ever since a tornado caused widespread destruction in Smithville in April 2011, residents have been waiting for a new grocery store will open.
Town officials told WTVA that an agreement has been reached for the Postell Meat Market to open.
The store will carry groceries, custom meats, and produce.
Owner Donny Postell said the store will be open Monday through Saturday.
Smithville Mayor Gregg Kennedy said the store will greatly add to the recovering area.
“Oh, it’s going to help this town tremendously. Not only inside the city limits, but outside the city limits,” Smith said. “All of north Monroe and south Itawamba County. It’s just going to be a tremendous lift for our area.”
Postell says the store should be open by November.
The north Mississippi town was devastated by the storm, which struck on April 27, 2011.
The tornado killed 16 people. Authorities said 153 homes, four churches, the Town Hall, the police headquarters and 14 of the 15 businesses in the one-square-mile town were destroyed.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Kelly Boutwell added, Jason Word promoted at MEC
- Cotton to take center stage during MSU summit
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy