Airport gets funding for improvements to handle larger aircraft
Published: September 23,2013
Tags: air travel, Airbus A320, Aircraft, airport, aviation, Boeing 757, convention, Federal Aviation Administration, funding, Golden Triangle Regional Airport, grant, meeting, Mike Hainsey, runway, taxiway, tourism, tourist, transportation, travel, visitor
COLUMBUS — Golden Triangle Regional Airport has obtained $3.4 million in grants to pay for upgrades to the airport’s runway and taxiway and widening of the exits and entrances from the runway to the taxiway.
Airport executive director Mike Hainsey told WTVA the work should allow the airport to handle larger aircraft with greater safety.
“We might be able to take larger ones, such as 767-type aircraft. They have an A340 that we would have to evaluate once the work’s done. We’ll have engineers take a look at what we can take,” Hainsey said.
The airport currently can accommodate aircraft as large as a Boeing 757 or Airbus A320.
The work is expected to start in October and take about 90 days to complete. Engineers will evaluate the impact of the runway and exists work and then advise airport officials about the capacity to land larger aircraft.
The Federal Aviation Administration is picking up about 90 percent of the cost, with the rest coming from Mississippi Department of Transportation and the airport.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders