Man accused of impersonating USDA official asks for trial delay
by Associated Press
Published: September 24,2013
Tags: attorney, bench, case, court, crime, George Lucas, housing, impersonation, indictment, judge, judicial, judiciary, justice, law, lawyer, legal, rantal property, trial, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Willie McCain
OXFORD — A lawyer has asked to delay the Oct. 7 trial of man charged with impersonating an employee of the U.S. Department of Agriculture to collect deposits from people in a rental housing program.
Willie McCain was indicted July 24 on three counts. The indictment says he solicited the money in April 2012 from people in Greenwood participating in rural development housing program.
His lawyer, public defender George Lucas, asked for a continuance yesterday. Lucas said he needs the continuance to meet with McClain, “complete the inspection of discovery material, prepare any necessary pretrial motions and adequately prepare for trial.”
McClain has pleaded not guilty and was released on a $10,000 unsecured bond.
The indictment says McClain demanded and obtained $500 on three separate occasions related to the housing program while claiming to be a federal official.
Each count carries possible penalties of up to three years in prison and a $25,000 fine.
Court records say McClain is from Greenwood. Online court records say he was born in 1958, but don’t list an exact age.
He’s charged in U.S. District Court in Oxford.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county