Ex-Health Department worker sentenced for embezzling
Published: September 25,2013
Tags: bench, court, crime, David Kweller, embezzle, embezzler, embezzling, guilty, health, health care, judge, judicial, judiciary, justice, law, legal, Mississippi State Department of Health, plea, public health, restitution, sentence, Stacey Pickering, State Auditor's Office
JACKSON — Authorities say a former employee of the Mississippi Department of Health was sentenced yesterday to one year of house arrest after pleading guilty to embezzling more than $23,000.
State Auditor Stacey Pickering, in a news release, said that David Kweller, a former employee in the Professional Licensure Division, was sentenced in Hinds County Circuit Court.
Pickering said Kweller embezzled $23,650 of public funds from May 2010 to April 2012.
“Mr. Kweller was a state employee who was stealing from the taxpayers, and we are pleased that this case has been resolved,” Pickering said. “Once again, we are seeing Senate Bill 2625 take effect since Mr. Kweller is now prohibited from working for any governmental agency in Mississippi again.”
The State Auditor’s Office served a demand to Kweller yesterday totaling $42,089.65, the amount embezzled, which includes accrued interest and investigative costs.
In his position, Kweller was responsible for licensing and regulating various professions and he received payments in the form of cash, checks, and money orders for professional licenses and regulatory fines and penalties.
Kweller embezzled cash receipts, which were collected on behalf of the agency, including 105 separate deposits that consisted of 260 individual payments made to the Mississippi Department of Health.
This investigation began in June 2012 when the State Auditor’s Office received an internal audit referral from the Mississippi Department of Health alleging embezzlement of cash receipts.
Kweller, who had a previous felony conviction in 1990, worked for the Mississippi Department of Heath for more than 20 years and was terminated Nov. 21.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job