Ware holds slim lead over DuPree for Hub City mayor
by Associated Press
Published: September 25,2013
Tags: ballot, bench, city, city government, City of Hattiesburg, counrt, Dave Ware, election, electionm law, Johnny Dupree, judge, judicial, judiciary, justice, law, legal, mayor, politician, Politics, special election, vote, voter, Voting, William Coleman
HATTIESBURG — Early returns show independent Dave Ware taking a very slim lead over Democratic incumbent Johnny DuPree in a special election for Hattiesburg mayor with absentee votes still uncounted.
The Hattiesburg American said Ware led 6,848 votes to 6,816 for DuPree with all 14 precincts reporting late last night. It said the race remained undecided with 1,055 absentee ballots to be counted.
The contest is a rematch.
DuPree, a Democrat, recorded 37 more votes than Ware, a former city council member, in a June 4 election. But Judge William Coleman called a new election after a mistrial was declared in a suit brought by Ware challenging the outcome. Ware had argued there were irregularities with some ballots and the way some votes were counted.
DuPree has been in office since 2001 and was the 2011 Democratic nominee for governor.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide