Construction of new casino hotel tower celebrates milestone
Published: September 27,2013
Tags: A.J. Holloway, casino, City of Biloxi, construction, convention, Duncan McKenzie, gamble, gambler, gambling, gaming, Hard Rock Casino Biloxi, hotel, hotel tower, lodging, meeting, tourism, tourist, vacation, visitor
BILOXI — The roof is now on and the topping-off ceremony was celebrated to mark that milestone for the new 12-story hotel tower at Hard Rock Casino Biloxi.
Yesterday, a crane hoisted a pine tree to the hotel’s roof and a flag unfurled down the face of the building.
A rainy summer delayed concrete pouring and pushed back the completion date from the hoped-for New Year’s Eve. General manager Duncan McKenzie tells The Sun Herald the hotel now will open early next year.
McKenzie says the new construction expands the 325-room resort by 154 rooms — 14 of them luxury suites — for a total of 479 rooms.
Mayor A.J. Holloway said the $32.5 million project’s 250 construction jobs and 90 permanent jobs will be a boost for the city.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015