Keeping our eye on — Jonathon McPhail
By Stephen McDill
The past five years of economic downturn haven’t been kind to many industries. That cold, hard fact hasn’t stopped Jonathan McPhail from pursuing his dreams
“I love visiting a past project of mine and admire how a family has taken a house I built and turned it into their home,” McPhail says. “In five years, I would like to have (the) local industry reputation of being one of the top real estate developers in my market.”
The Pearl native earned his undergraduate in construction and land development from Mississippi State University in 2005 and recently completed a masters in real estate development at Auburn University.
“I did not fully believe the current market conditions in the Jackson area were right for me to return,” McPhail says, adding that he considered moving to larger markets in Atlanta, Ga., and Nashville, Tenn.
A conversation with local developer David Landrum turned things around for McPhail, who now works with Landrum’s team redeveloping the historic Town of Livingston in Madison County. The residential and retail development already boasts a popular farmers market that attracts hundreds each week.
“I believe the end of suburbia is drawing near,” McPhail says. “Over the past few years I have been able to visit many U.S. markets where (there is) revitalization of the urban core.”
McPhail races and volunteers at various running events across Mississippi and hopes to complete an Ironman event one day.
More on Jonathan McPhail …
Age: 31 Director of Real Estate Development, Livingston Holdings
Heroes: “I would have to say my mom. Although life has not always been easy on her, she has chosen to always walk the straight and narrow path. There is a lot to be learned from that.”
Best Mississippi event: Mal’s St. Paddy’s Day Parade
Favorite Mississippi food: Fried catfish
Favorite TV show: “Homeland”
Favorite movie: “Forrest Gump”
Favorite music: JJ Grey & Mofro
Favorite hangout spots: Fondren District in Jackson
First job ever: Xan’s Diner in Flowood.
Twitter handle: @jdmcphail
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending