Keeping our eye on — Jonathon McPhail
By Stephen McDill
The past five years of economic downturn haven’t been kind to many industries. That cold, hard fact hasn’t stopped Jonathan McPhail from pursuing his dreams
“I love visiting a past project of mine and admire how a family has taken a house I built and turned it into their home,” McPhail says. “In five years, I would like to have (the) local industry reputation of being one of the top real estate developers in my market.”
The Pearl native earned his undergraduate in construction and land development from Mississippi State University in 2005 and recently completed a masters in real estate development at Auburn University.
“I did not fully believe the current market conditions in the Jackson area were right for me to return,” McPhail says, adding that he considered moving to larger markets in Atlanta, Ga., and Nashville, Tenn.
A conversation with local developer David Landrum turned things around for McPhail, who now works with Landrum’s team redeveloping the historic Town of Livingston in Madison County. The residential and retail development already boasts a popular farmers market that attracts hundreds each week.
“I believe the end of suburbia is drawing near,” McPhail says. “Over the past few years I have been able to visit many U.S. markets where (there is) revitalization of the urban core.”
McPhail races and volunteers at various running events across Mississippi and hopes to complete an Ironman event one day.
More on Jonathan McPhail …
Age: 31 Director of Real Estate Development, Livingston Holdings
Heroes: “I would have to say my mom. Although life has not always been easy on her, she has chosen to always walk the straight and narrow path. There is a lot to be learned from that.”
Best Mississippi event: Mal’s St. Paddy’s Day Parade
Favorite Mississippi food: Fried catfish
Favorite TV show: “Homeland”
Favorite movie: “Forrest Gump”
Favorite music: JJ Grey & Mofro
Favorite hangout spots: Fondren District in Jackson
First job ever: Xan’s Diner in Flowood.
Twitter handle: @jdmcphail
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Investigators find massive Ag Museum fire was an accident
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- UM Chancellor Jones: Lymphoma treatment going well
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Court hits David Watkins with $600,000 order over Retro Metro issues