Keeping our eye on — Jonathon McPhail
By Stephen McDill
The past five years of economic downturn haven’t been kind to many industries. That cold, hard fact hasn’t stopped Jonathan McPhail from pursuing his dreams
“I love visiting a past project of mine and admire how a family has taken a house I built and turned it into their home,” McPhail says. “In five years, I would like to have (the) local industry reputation of being one of the top real estate developers in my market.”
The Pearl native earned his undergraduate in construction and land development from Mississippi State University in 2005 and recently completed a masters in real estate development at Auburn University.
“I did not fully believe the current market conditions in the Jackson area were right for me to return,” McPhail says, adding that he considered moving to larger markets in Atlanta, Ga., and Nashville, Tenn.
A conversation with local developer David Landrum turned things around for McPhail, who now works with Landrum’s team redeveloping the historic Town of Livingston in Madison County. The residential and retail development already boasts a popular farmers market that attracts hundreds each week.
“I believe the end of suburbia is drawing near,” McPhail says. “Over the past few years I have been able to visit many U.S. markets where (there is) revitalization of the urban core.”
McPhail races and volunteers at various running events across Mississippi and hopes to complete an Ironman event one day.
More on Jonathan McPhail …
Age: 31 Director of Real Estate Development, Livingston Holdings
Heroes: “I would have to say my mom. Although life has not always been easy on her, she has chosen to always walk the straight and narrow path. There is a lot to be learned from that.”
Best Mississippi event: Mal’s St. Paddy’s Day Parade
Favorite Mississippi food: Fried catfish
Favorite TV show: “Homeland”
Favorite movie: “Forrest Gump”
Favorite music: JJ Grey & Mofro
Favorite hangout spots: Fondren District in Jackson
First job ever: Xan’s Diner in Flowood.
Twitter handle: @jdmcphail
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Regions must pay $7.5 million in fines over illegal overdraft fees
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings attorney Alan Perry takes office as IHL board president
- DAVID DALLAS: Getting a grip on LGBT issues
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Governor signs fracking bill as database comes under scrutiny
- Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release
- Mississippian Glenn McCullough Jr. gets nod as new MDA chief
- Top 40 Under 40