Facing tight funding, USM to unveil retention plan
Published: October 3,2013
Tags: budget, College Board, education, higher education, Institution of Higher Learning, postsecondary education, public university, Rodney Bennett, student, student recruitment, student retention, university, University of Southern Mississippi
HATTIESBURG — University of Southern Mississippi President Rodney Bennett has only been on the job for six months, but he says his relationship with the university community has jumped off to a promising start.
Bennett, the former vice president for student affairs at the University of Georgia, said his plan for student success at Southern Miss focuses on recruitment, retention, completion and graduation.
Bennett tells The Hattiesburg American the university is approaching the issue of student retention with particular urgency, adding that state dollars are tied to retention rates under the new state College Board funding formula.
He said the university will soon release a retention plan to the public.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year