Texas company buying Magnolia Guaranty for $5.23M
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 8,2013
RIDGELAND — Citizens Inc.’s wholly owned subsidiary, Security Plan Life Insurance Company, has reached a definitive agreement to acquire Magnolia Guaranty Life Insurance Company of Ridgeland for $5.23 million.
Magnolia Guaranty has 409,553 shares of capital stock outstanding. Since 1992, it has specialized in the sale of final expense and pre-need life insurance policies in Mississippi through its funeral home distribution channels.
For the year ended Dec. 31, 2012 Magnolia Guaranty had assets of $8 million and annual premiums of $2.14 million.
The transaction is subject to approval by Magnolia Guaranty’s shareholders, approvals by insurance regulators and other customary closing conditions. Closing is expected during the fourth quarter of 2013, following completion of requisite due diligence and regulatory approvals.
Rick Riley, president of Austin, Texas-based Citizens, said, “As we continue to grow the final expense and pre-need business, Magnolia Guaranty provides a natural synergy with our Security Plan Life Insurance Company subsidiary. These two companies complement one another very well, and together, serve to strengthen each other in the Mississippi marketplace.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability