Texas company buying Magnolia Guaranty for $5.23M
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 8,2013
RIDGELAND — Citizens Inc.’s wholly owned subsidiary, Security Plan Life Insurance Company, has reached a definitive agreement to acquire Magnolia Guaranty Life Insurance Company of Ridgeland for $5.23 million.
Magnolia Guaranty has 409,553 shares of capital stock outstanding. Since 1992, it has specialized in the sale of final expense and pre-need life insurance policies in Mississippi through its funeral home distribution channels.
For the year ended Dec. 31, 2012 Magnolia Guaranty had assets of $8 million and annual premiums of $2.14 million.
The transaction is subject to approval by Magnolia Guaranty’s shareholders, approvals by insurance regulators and other customary closing conditions. Closing is expected during the fourth quarter of 2013, following completion of requisite due diligence and regulatory approvals.
Rick Riley, president of Austin, Texas-based Citizens, said, “As we continue to grow the final expense and pre-need business, Magnolia Guaranty provides a natural synergy with our Security Plan Life Insurance Company subsidiary. These two companies complement one another very well, and together, serve to strengthen each other in the Mississippi marketplace.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet