Bids under review for demolition of facilities at harbor
by Associated Press
Published: October 10,2013
Tags: bid, boat, boat storage shed, boating, city, city government, City of Ocean Springs, community development, Connie Moran, county, county government, demolition, harbor, infrastructure, Jackson County, MelissaScanlan, Mississippi Department of Marine Resources, Ocean Springs Harbor, outdoors, restaurant
OCEAN SPRINGS — The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources is awaiting a review of 10 bids for the demolition and removal of a vacant boat storage shed and a restaurant at the Ocean Springs Harbor.
MDMR spokeswoman Melissa Scallan tells The Sun Herald that the bids ranged from $119,000 to $433,000.
Scallan said the bids they must be reviewed by state agencies in Jackson before the MDMR can award the contract.
The large boat shed and the elevated restaurant must come down before Jackson County and Ocean Springs can add sidewalks and nautical lighting and boat trailer and car parking to the area. A bait shop will remain where it is with parking in front of it for cars.
State Tidelands funds will provide $863,000 for the improvements. Jackson County will handle the paving, but doesn’t want to start until the heavy demolition equipment is through removing the two MDMR buildings.
Mayor Connie Moran said the city is finalizing the plans for what to do once the boat storage shed is gone.
Parking won’t be allowed on the MDRM property, Moran said.
“It will strictly be green space. We can’t even put picnic tables or benches on it,” she said.
Moran is hoping demolition will be complete by the end of the year, so the city and county can move forward on improvements and hopefully be finished by spring, when the harbor goes into full swing.
Moran said she hopes the improvements will make the harbor more efficient.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program