Doctor charged with murder-for-hire to see psychiatrist
Published: October 11,2013
Tags: Arnold Smith, attempted murder, attorney, bench, case, court, crime, Derrick Lacy, dicorce, doctor, health care, judge, justice, Keaira Byrd, law. legal, lawyer, Lee Abraham, mental health, murder, murder-for-hire, physician, prosecutor, psychiatrist, Psychiatry, trial
GREENWOOD — Prosecutors and the defense team for a Greenwood doctor charged in a murder-for-hire case will talk to a forensic psychiatrist at a state mental hospital about bringing in another doctor to assist in the evaluation of Dr. Arnold Smith.
The Greenwood Commonwealth reports that the decision came Tuesday during a court in Greenwood on the progress of Smith’s mental evaluation.
Smith’s trial has been indefinitely postponed.
Smith is charged with murder as the alleged instigator of a plot that ended with the death of gunman Keaira Byrd and the serious wounding Derrick Lacy. Byrd allegedly was hired to kill attorney Lee Abraham, who represented Smith’s ex-wife in their divorce years ago. Abraham was not injured.
Smith is also charged with two counts of conspiring to murder Abraham.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company