Doctor charged with murder-for-hire to see psychiatrist
Published: October 11,2013
Tags: Arnold Smith, attempted murder, attorney, bench, case, court, crime, Derrick Lacy, dicorce, doctor, health care, judge, justice, Keaira Byrd, law. legal, lawyer, Lee Abraham, mental health, murder, murder-for-hire, physician, prosecutor, psychiatrist, Psychiatry, trial
GREENWOOD — Prosecutors and the defense team for a Greenwood doctor charged in a murder-for-hire case will talk to a forensic psychiatrist at a state mental hospital about bringing in another doctor to assist in the evaluation of Dr. Arnold Smith.
The Greenwood Commonwealth reports that the decision came Tuesday during a court in Greenwood on the progress of Smith’s mental evaluation.
Smith’s trial has been indefinitely postponed.
Smith is charged with murder as the alleged instigator of a plot that ended with the death of gunman Keaira Byrd and the serious wounding Derrick Lacy. Byrd allegedly was hired to kill attorney Lee Abraham, who represented Smith’s ex-wife in their divorce years ago. Abraham was not injured.
Smith is also charged with two counts of conspiring to murder Abraham.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Two Delta groups getting economic development funding