Doctor charged with murder-for-hire to see psychiatrist
Published: October 11,2013
Tags: Arnold Smith, attempted murder, attorney, bench, case, court, crime, Derrick Lacy, dicorce, doctor, health care, judge, justice, Keaira Byrd, law. legal, lawyer, Lee Abraham, mental health, murder, murder-for-hire, physician, prosecutor, psychiatrist, Psychiatry, trial
GREENWOOD — Prosecutors and the defense team for a Greenwood doctor charged in a murder-for-hire case will talk to a forensic psychiatrist at a state mental hospital about bringing in another doctor to assist in the evaluation of Dr. Arnold Smith.
The Greenwood Commonwealth reports that the decision came Tuesday during a court in Greenwood on the progress of Smith’s mental evaluation.
Smith’s trial has been indefinitely postponed.
Smith is charged with murder as the alleged instigator of a plot that ended with the death of gunman Keaira Byrd and the serious wounding Derrick Lacy. Byrd allegedly was hired to kill attorney Lee Abraham, who represented Smith’s ex-wife in their divorce years ago. Abraham was not injured.
Smith is also charged with two counts of conspiring to murder Abraham.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Prescott leads field for Conerly Trophy as state's best football player
- UM Chancellor Jones: Lymphoma treatment going well
- County to ask if it can use unspent hurricane recovery money
- BILL CRAWFORD: Bryant’s tax cut won’t stop spending growth