Doctor charged with murder-for-hire to see psychiatrist
by Associated Press
Published: October 11,2013
Tags: Arnold Smith, attempted murder, attorney, bench, case, court, crime, Derrick Lacy, dicorce, doctor, health care, judge, justice, Keaira Byrd, law. legal, lawyer, Lee Abraham, mental health, murder, murder-for-hire, physician, prosecutor, psychiatrist, Psychiatry, trial
GREENWOOD — Prosecutors and the defense team for a Greenwood doctor charged in a murder-for-hire case will talk to a forensic psychiatrist at a state mental hospital about bringing in another doctor to assist in the evaluation of Dr. Arnold Smith.
The Greenwood Commonwealth reports that the decision came Tuesday during a court in Greenwood on the progress of Smith’s mental evaluation.
Smith’s trial has been indefinitely postponed.
Smith is charged with murder as the alleged instigator of a plot that ended with the death of gunman Keaira Byrd and the serious wounding Derrick Lacy. Byrd allegedly was hired to kill attorney Lee Abraham, who represented Smith’s ex-wife in their divorce years ago. Abraham was not injured.
Smith is also charged with two counts of conspiring to murder Abraham.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!