Keeping our eye on… Casey Combest
by Stephen McDill
Published: October 11,2013
Vancleave native Casey Combest earned a sociology degree from Mississippi College and was chasing down a graduate degree at Reformed Theological Seminary when he decided to pursue a career in the music business industry.
“I saw that there was a desperate need for a linchpin that would work for musicians as they tried to bridge the gap of making their talent into a career,” Combest says.
Combest’s company, BlueSky Studios, is a Jackson recording studio that walks alongside artists and bands as they go from ideas to reality. “My role is to partner with them and other talented musicians, filmmakers, photographers, designers and professionals in the music industry to move them closer to their dream,” Combest says.
Creating business opportunities for the state’s creative economy is one of Combest’s passions and he calls himself a “creative cheerleader.”
“Encouraging someone in creative ways and creating an atmosphere and an attitude for someone to produce something that they didn’t even know they were capable of is really a joy,” he says. “I genuinely believe that smaller hub cities like Jackson have a huge potential to clean house in the creative arena- you don’t have to travel to Nashville, L.A. or New York City to make a great record anymore.”
Combest also enjoys hunting and fishing, leading Bible studies and volunteering at homeless shelters and local ministries like Gateway Rescue Mission and Mission First.
“I used to be really discouraged and threatened when I’d hear about someone else doing what I want to do,” he advises young professionals. “Now I know that not many people want to work as hard as me and my team do for the people we work for.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability