USA International Ballet kicks off in June in Jackson
JACKSON — Top young dancers from around the globe will perform next June during the festival of dance, also known as the 2014 USA International Ballet Competition.
USA IBC will celebrate 35 years in Jackson during the two-week event that begins June 14, 2014.
USA IBC Executive director Sue Lobrano said organizers expect between 30,000 and 40,000 to attend some or all the 18 scheduled performances.
Lobrano said at a news conference Tuesday that IBC’s opening ceremony will feature the contemporary New York-based dance company Complexions.
“This ballet-trained company is powerful in their movement, while fluid in their artistry,” said Lobrano.
The event — the 10th in Jackson — runs from June 14 to June 29. Organizers expect about 100 professional and amateur dancers from around the world to compete in junior (ages 15-18) and senior (ages 19-26) divisions. Dancers compete for medals, cash awards, scholarships and company contracts.
Edward Villella will be the jury chairman for the 2014 USA International Ballet Competition. Villella was a New York City Ballet principal for many years and was the founding director of the acclaimed Miami City Ballet.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Report: Mississippi only state to see drop in home prices
- Palmertree blocked from using public funds for legal defense
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Two companies fined for violations of 'No-Call' law
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- John Ferrucci'a perfect voice is perfect for the Silver Slipper Casino
- City suing Hercules for pollution at shuttered plant site