Cochran prepared to get final farm bill completed
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 14,2013
Tags: agriculture, Congress, Debbie Stabenow, farm, Farm Bill, farmer, farming, federal government, lawmaker, legislation, legislative, Nutrition and Forestry Committee, politician, Politics, Senate Agriculture, Thad Cocharn, U.S. Housae of Representatives, U.S. Senate
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.), ranking Republican on the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee, says he is ready to engage in negotiations to finalize a new, five-year farm bill.
Cochran says he welcomed a vote in the House of Representatives last Friday authorizing a conference committee with the Senate to reconcile differences in Senate- and House-passed versions of a 2013 farm bill — legislation that sets agriculture, conservation and nutrition assistance policies for the country. The vote, 223-189, will establish a yet-to-be-named House delegation of 12 Republicans and nine Democrats.
“The table will be for us to work on a long-term farm bill that is equitable to all producers in all regions of the country. The task before us is urgent. I am ready and optimistic about working with our House counterparts to resolve significant differences and put in place policies that work well for the agriculture industry, American consumers and the economy.”
Cochran will join Senate Agriculture Committee Chairwoman Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) in leading the Senate conference delegation that includes seven Democrat and five Republican Senators.
A short-term extension of 2008 farm bill policies expired Sept. 30, creating the need for conferees to work toward finalizing a new farm bill before the end of the year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability