Former college president Cleland dies at age 95
Published: October 15,2013
Tags: Bailey Junir High School, Belhaven College, Belhaven University, Bellhaven College, burial, college, death, education, educator, funeral, Guatava Cleland, higher education, Howard J. Cleland, Institution of Higher Learning, Murrah High School, obituary, postsecondary education, President, private college, public education, public school, school, secondary education, visitation, Wright and Ferguson Funeral Home
JACKSON — Howard J. Cleland, who served as president of Belhaven College for 17 years, has died at the age of 95.
Officials with Wright and Ferguson Funeral Home say Cleland died Sunday. The cause of death was not released. Graveside services will be held at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow at Parkway Memorial Cemetery, followed by a memorial service at First Presbyterian Church in Jackson.
Cleland served as Bailey Junior High School’s principal from 1947 to 1955. When Murrah High School opened in Jackson in 1955, he was selected as the school’s first principal and served until 1961. In 1961, he was named president of Belhaven College — now Belhaven University — and served until 1978.
Survivors include his wife, Gustava; three children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment