New $50M Rolls-Royce engine test stand opens
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 16,2013
Tags: aerospace, avaition, defense, engine, James M. Guyette, jet, John C. Stennis Space Center, NASA, Rolls-Royce, Rolls-Royce North America, Rolls-Royce Outdoor Jet Engine Test Facility, technolgy, test stand
HANCOCK COUNTY — Rolls-Royce has officially opened the company’s second jet engine test stand.
Located at the Rolls-Royce Outdoor Jet Engine Test Facility at NASA’s John C. Stennis Space Center, the test stand represents a $50-million corporate investment and will create 35 new jobs.
The Outdoor Jet Engine Test Facility performs jet engine testing on Rolls-Royce civil aircraft engines, including the Trent 1000, which powers the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and the Trent XWB, which powers the Airbus 350XWB.
“Our decision to first build, and now expand, the Rolls-Royce Outdoor Jet Engine Test Stand here at Stennis embraces the spirit of partnership with the State of Mississippi. This relationship continues to grow, which is a direct result of a very positive public-private partnership,” said James M. Guyette, chairman, president and CEO of Rolls-Royce North America. “Rolls-Royce is investing in America because of our collective innovation, competitiveness and cooperative spirit, and we find the state of Mississippi is the perfect location to expand our operations.”
Rolls-Royce announced the addition of the test stand in January 2012. The Mississippi Development Authority provided assistance for the project for infrastructure improvements, construction and workforce training. Hancock County also provided assistance for the project.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force