Richard Summers, Alan Jones promoted at UMMC
Dr. Richard Summers, professor of emergency medicine, has been appointed associate vice chancellor for research at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He previously served as professor and chair of UMMC’s Department of Emergency Medicine. He is also an accomplished physician-scientist with nearly 300 publications to his credit. He has established a national reputation for his work on quantitative models of human physiology on behalf of NASA’s Digital Astronaut Program, particularly in regard to measuring the effects of microgravity on space travelers.
An honors graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi in mathematics and chemistry, Summers completed medical school at UMMC. In addition to his clinical training, he completed a post-doctoral research fellowship in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics under the mentorship of Dr. Arthur Guyton and Dr. Tom Coleman. He holds a secondary faculty appointment as professor in that department.
Summers succeeds Dr. John Hall, professor and chair of the Department of Physiology and Biophysics, as associate vice chancellor for research. Hall held the position since 2005.
Dr. Alan Jones, UMMC professor of emergency medicine, has been named chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine, replacing Summers. Jones earned his undergraduate degree with honors in molecular biology at Millsaps College and his medical degree at UMMC. He completed his residency in emergency medicine and served as chief resident at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C. Following residency training he completed a clinical trials research fellowship, and while serving on the emergency medicine teaching faculty at Carolinas he completed coursework for a master’s degree in public health from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Jones returned to UMMC in 2011 as a full professor and vice chairman of emergency medicine. He also serves as the department’s director of research and its research fellowship program.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015