Richard Summers, Alan Jones promoted at UMMC
Dr. Richard Summers, professor of emergency medicine, has been appointed associate vice chancellor for research at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He previously served as professor and chair of UMMC’s Department of Emergency Medicine. He is also an accomplished physician-scientist with nearly 300 publications to his credit. He has established a national reputation for his work on quantitative models of human physiology on behalf of NASA’s Digital Astronaut Program, particularly in regard to measuring the effects of microgravity on space travelers.
An honors graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi in mathematics and chemistry, Summers completed medical school at UMMC. In addition to his clinical training, he completed a post-doctoral research fellowship in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics under the mentorship of Dr. Arthur Guyton and Dr. Tom Coleman. He holds a secondary faculty appointment as professor in that department.
Summers succeeds Dr. John Hall, professor and chair of the Department of Physiology and Biophysics, as associate vice chancellor for research. Hall held the position since 2005.
Dr. Alan Jones, UMMC professor of emergency medicine, has been named chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine, replacing Summers. Jones earned his undergraduate degree with honors in molecular biology at Millsaps College and his medical degree at UMMC. He completed his residency in emergency medicine and served as chief resident at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C. Following residency training he completed a clinical trials research fellowship, and while serving on the emergency medicine teaching faculty at Carolinas he completed coursework for a master’s degree in public health from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Jones returned to UMMC in 2011 as a full professor and vice chairman of emergency medicine. He also serves as the department’s director of research and its research fellowship program.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Court hits David Watkins with $600,000 order over Retro Metro issues