Richard Summers, Alan Jones promoted at UMMC
Dr. Richard Summers, professor of emergency medicine, has been appointed associate vice chancellor for research at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He previously served as professor and chair of UMMC’s Department of Emergency Medicine. He is also an accomplished physician-scientist with nearly 300 publications to his credit. He has established a national reputation for his work on quantitative models of human physiology on behalf of NASA’s Digital Astronaut Program, particularly in regard to measuring the effects of microgravity on space travelers.
An honors graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi in mathematics and chemistry, Summers completed medical school at UMMC. In addition to his clinical training, he completed a post-doctoral research fellowship in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics under the mentorship of Dr. Arthur Guyton and Dr. Tom Coleman. He holds a secondary faculty appointment as professor in that department.
Summers succeeds Dr. John Hall, professor and chair of the Department of Physiology and Biophysics, as associate vice chancellor for research. Hall held the position since 2005.
Dr. Alan Jones, UMMC professor of emergency medicine, has been named chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine, replacing Summers. Jones earned his undergraduate degree with honors in molecular biology at Millsaps College and his medical degree at UMMC. He completed his residency in emergency medicine and served as chief resident at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C. Following residency training he completed a clinical trials research fellowship, and while serving on the emergency medicine teaching faculty at Carolinas he completed coursework for a master’s degree in public health from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Jones returned to UMMC in 2011 as a full professor and vice chairman of emergency medicine. He also serves as the department’s director of research and its research fellowship program.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Fitch gives Mississippi Power a negative outlook due to Kemper plant
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Payday lender expects clean bill from regulators