USM’s Bill Smith appointed to chair of Department of Economic Development and Tourism
Dr. Bill Smith, a veteran member of the College of Business faculty at the University of Southern Mississippi, was recently appointed chairman of the college’s Department of Economic Development and Tourism. Smith combines industry experience with more than 30 years of teaching at Southern Miss. He has taught professional selling, creative marketing, marketing research and the capstone marketing management course during his tenure. He has also taught economic development courses on leadership and led the sales and marketing portion of the True South course since its inception.
Smith received his B.S. and M.B.A. degrees with honors from Florida State University and doctorate from Louisiana Tech University. He has experience as a technical sales representative for the Linde Division of Union Carbide Corporation and materials manager for a multi-million dollar building materials exporter. He received the University’s Excellence in Teaching Award in his first year at Southern Miss. Smith was also selected by senior student business organization leaders to receive the South Central Bell Outstanding Faculty Member Award twice. His work leading an effort to increase attendance at University athletics events won him the Distinguished Marketing Award from the Hattiesburg Sales & Marketing Executives organization.
He has published articles in Industrial Marketing Management, the International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration, the Economic Development Review and the Journal of Economic Development.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!