USM’s Bill Smith appointed to chair of Department of Economic Development and Tourism
Dr. Bill Smith, a veteran member of the College of Business faculty at the University of Southern Mississippi, was recently appointed chairman of the college’s Department of Economic Development and Tourism. Smith combines industry experience with more than 30 years of teaching at Southern Miss. He has taught professional selling, creative marketing, marketing research and the capstone marketing management course during his tenure. He has also taught economic development courses on leadership and led the sales and marketing portion of the True South course since its inception.
Smith received his B.S. and M.B.A. degrees with honors from Florida State University and doctorate from Louisiana Tech University. He has experience as a technical sales representative for the Linde Division of Union Carbide Corporation and materials manager for a multi-million dollar building materials exporter. He received the University’s Excellence in Teaching Award in his first year at Southern Miss. Smith was also selected by senior student business organization leaders to receive the South Central Bell Outstanding Faculty Member Award twice. His work leading an effort to increase attendance at University athletics events won him the Distinguished Marketing Award from the Hattiesburg Sales & Marketing Executives organization.
He has published articles in Industrial Marketing Management, the International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration, the Economic Development Review and the Journal of Economic Development.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi