USM’s Bill Smith appointed to chair of Department of Economic Development and Tourism
Dr. Bill Smith, a veteran member of the College of Business faculty at the University of Southern Mississippi, was recently appointed chairman of the college’s Department of Economic Development and Tourism. Smith combines industry experience with more than 30 years of teaching at Southern Miss. He has taught professional selling, creative marketing, marketing research and the capstone marketing management course during his tenure. He has also taught economic development courses on leadership and led the sales and marketing portion of the True South course since its inception.
Smith received his B.S. and M.B.A. degrees with honors from Florida State University and doctorate from Louisiana Tech University. He has experience as a technical sales representative for the Linde Division of Union Carbide Corporation and materials manager for a multi-million dollar building materials exporter. He received the University’s Excellence in Teaching Award in his first year at Southern Miss. Smith was also selected by senior student business organization leaders to receive the South Central Bell Outstanding Faculty Member Award twice. His work leading an effort to increase attendance at University athletics events won him the Distinguished Marketing Award from the Hattiesburg Sales & Marketing Executives organization.
He has published articles in Industrial Marketing Management, the International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration, the Economic Development Review and the Journal of Economic Development.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House