Fire erupts at poultry plant; no injuries reported
Published: October 20,2013
FLOWOOD — No injuries have been reported in an early Friday fire at the Sanderson Farms poultry plant in Flowood.
Flowood Fire Department Lt. Brian Grantham says about 16 employees were inside the building at the time, though no one was in the boiler room where the fire started. The room is used for heating cooking oil to cook the food.
Grantham says those inside the building were part of a cleaning crew and they evacuated when the fire alarms sounded. He says the fire was reported about 3 a.m.
The cause of the fire is being investigated.
Company officials say the plant will be closed until tomorrow.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- McDaniel files legal arguments as he looks to overturn Cochran loss
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Fitch gives Mississippi Power a negative outlook due to Kemper plant
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Payday lender expects clean bill from regulators