Government asks court to bar tax preparer
Published: October 20,2013
DURANT — The federal government has asked a Mississippi court to permanently bar a woman from preparing federal income tax returns for others.
The U.S. Justice Department says in a news release that Danee Aikens prepared federal income tax returns under the name “Comprotax Service” from an office in Durant.
The complaint alleges that Aikens prepared returns that overstated income, including by reporting fictitious household help income, in order to increase the amount of her customers’ claim to the Earned Income Tax Credit.
The complaint also alleges that Aikens prepared returns that falsely claimed a refundable education credit on behalf of her clients.
The complaint says the loss to the government from Aikens’ returns from 2009 through 2012 could exceed $7 million.
A phone number listed for the business was disconnected yesterday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- The link between education and economic development