Government asks court to bar tax preparer
by Associated Press
Published: October 20,2013
DURANT — The federal government has asked a Mississippi court to permanently bar a woman from preparing federal income tax returns for others.
The U.S. Justice Department says in a news release that Danee Aikens prepared federal income tax returns under the name “Comprotax Service” from an office in Durant.
The complaint alleges that Aikens prepared returns that overstated income, including by reporting fictitious household help income, in order to increase the amount of her customers’ claim to the Earned Income Tax Credit.
The complaint also alleges that Aikens prepared returns that falsely claimed a refundable education credit on behalf of her clients.
The complaint says the loss to the government from Aikens’ returns from 2009 through 2012 could exceed $7 million.
A phone number listed for the business was disconnected yesterday.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years