Second nurse pleads guilty to role in cancer center fraud
Published: October 22,2013
Tags: attorney, bench, Brittany Davis Powell, Cancer, court, Courtney Michelle Young, Cynthia Stewart, fraud, health, health care, justice, law, lawyer, legal, medical, medicine, Meera Sachdeva, nurse, nursing, oncology, plea, public health, Rose Cancer Center
SUMMIT — A second nurse has pleaded guilty to failing to report a crime at a south Mississippi cancer clinic that was shut down over unsafe practices and accused of a multimillion-dollar fraud.
Brittany Davis Powell pleaded guilty yesterday to misprision of a felony during a hearing in U.S. District Court in Jackson.
Her lawyer, Cynthia Stewart, told the court that Powell lied to law enforcement about the owner of Rose Cancer Center ordering nurses to make retroactive entries in patients’ files.
The 25-year-old Powell faces up to three years in prison at sentencing on Jan. 10.
Another nurse, Courtney Michelle Young, pleaded guilty Oct. 15 on a similar charge. Her sentencing is Jan. 6.
Dr. Meera Sachdeva, who founded the clinic in Summit, is serving a 20-year sentence.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November