Journal Inc. buys New Albany Gazette for undisclosed sum
by Associated Press
Published: October 24,2013
NEW ALBANY — The Associated Press reports that Journal Inc., owner of The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, has bought the twice-weekly New Albany Gazette in Union County.
The sale closed this past week. It was announced in yesterday’s edition of the Daily Journal.
The Gazette had been owned for 34 years by Landmark Community Newspapers, based in Shelbyville, Ky.
Tupelo-based Journal Inc. publishes the Daily Journal and eight weekly newspapers in Mississippi and five weeklies in Tennessee.
Terms of the sale were not disclosed. The Gazette will continue to publish on Wednesdays and Fridays, according to the announcement.
The sale includes the Gazette’s online edition as well as several specialty publications.
Landmark bought the Gazette in 1979 from New Albany attorney Bill Rutledge, whose family had been associated with the paper since the 1930s.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast