Journal Inc. buys New Albany Gazette for undisclosed sum
by Associated Press
Published: October 24,2013
NEW ALBANY — The Associated Press reports that Journal Inc., owner of The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, has bought the twice-weekly New Albany Gazette in Union County.
The sale closed this past week. It was announced in yesterday’s edition of the Daily Journal.
The Gazette had been owned for 34 years by Landmark Community Newspapers, based in Shelbyville, Ky.
Tupelo-based Journal Inc. publishes the Daily Journal and eight weekly newspapers in Mississippi and five weeklies in Tennessee.
Terms of the sale were not disclosed. The Gazette will continue to publish on Wednesdays and Fridays, according to the announcement.
The sale includes the Gazette’s online edition as well as several specialty publications.
Landmark bought the Gazette in 1979 from New Albany attorney Bill Rutledge, whose family had been associated with the paper since the 1930s.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State