Supervisors reject tennis club’s resort status request
Published: October 24,2013
Tags: alcohol, Barney Chadwick, club, county, county government, Goose Creek Club, Lafayette County, Lafayette County Board of Supervisors, liquor, Mississippi Department of Revenue, resort status, supervisor, tennis, Wellsgate
OXFORD — The Lafayette County Board for Supervisors has declined to endorse resort status for a tennis club that wants to serve alcohol.
Barney Chadwick, general manager for the Goose Creek Club in Wellsgate, will now need to gather 100 signatures in support of the resort status from neighbors and submit his request to the Mississippi Department of Revenue.
“We knew they would vote it down. But this is just part of the process,” Chadwick told the Oxford Eagle after yesterday’s meeting.
Lafayette County is wet for alcohol and wine and dry for beer.
State law says a restaurant or other establishments can only sell alcohol if they are within the city limits. For those establishments that cater to tourists, they can apply for “resort status” from the Department of Revenue to serve alcohol.
The club is private but Chadwick said it plans to host tennis and swimming competitions. He said 175 membership applications have been submitted for the club thus far.
The Department of Revenue will ultimately decide the issue but part of the application process is to appear before the local governing board to request a letter of support. The board of supervisors has traditionally voted against resort status requests.
Chadwick said the tennis, swimming and fitness center will include a restaurant in its 10,000-squarefoot clubhouse that is under construction in the Wellsgate subdivision.
“This isn’t going to be a honky-tonk place,” he said. “It will be a family-orientated club.”
Chadwick said the club will have 14 clay tennis courts and a resort-style swimming competitive pool along with the clubhouse.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation