Jerome Goddard explores traumatic memories in new novel
In a new novel titled “Living Memories,” Mississippi State University entomologist Jerome Goddard explores traumatic memories and the implications of science run amok. An extension service professor in the biochemistry, molecular biology, entomology, and plant pathology department, Goddard said he got the idea for the novel while thinking about prions — abnormal, pathogenic agents responsible for diseases such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans and bovine spongiform encephalopathy, also known as mad cow disease. Aside from the study of the power of memory, “Living Memory” also delves into the ethics of scientific research.
His wife, Rosella, helped plot the novel and also is credited as an author.
Goddard is a former Booneville resident who holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in biological science from the University of Mississippi and a medical entomology doctorate from MSU. While ecology and epidemiology of tick-borne diseases are his primary research areas, he also has written extensively on a wide range of medically important arthropods. During 20 years in Jackson as state medical entomologist, he also held appointments as a clinical assistant professor of preventive medicine and assistant professor of medicine at the UM School of Medicine. Over his professional career, Goddard has been invited to appear on Comedy Central Network’s “The Colbert Report” and the Learning Channel, and has been featured in Reader’s Digest. He frequently leads national and international seminars and other programs on arthropods, medicine and related topics.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'