Grocer recalls salad; may contain harmful bacteria
by MBJ Staff
Published: October 28,2013
Tags: Brian Wright, consumer safety, food illness, food safety, grocer, grocery sdtore, Listeria monocytogene, product recall, recall, Reser's Fin Foos Inc., salad, Taylor Farms Broccoli Crunch salad, Taylor Farms Maryland Inc., Taylor Farms Tennessee Inc., U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Winn-Dixie
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Winn-Dixie has issued an immediate recall in all Winn-Dixie stores of the Taylor Farms Broccoli Crunch Salad sold in the full-service case in the deli department.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the reason for the recall is the potential that the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recall is part of a larger recall issued by Taylor Farms Tennessee Inc. and Taylor Farms Maryland Inc. as a result of a recall of Reser’s Fine Food Inc. products.
To protect its customers, Winn-Dixie is immediately recalling the Broccoli Crunch Salad from deli cases in all stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi.
The recalled Taylor Farms Broccoli Crunch Salad was sold at stores from Oct. 19-24. Winn-Dixie has received no reports of any issues associated with Broccoli Crunch Salad consumption.
Brian Wright, Winn-Dixie’s communications and community vice president, said, “We encourage customers to immediately discard the product or take it back to their neighborhood store. Anyone who purchased the product can request a full refund, no questions asked.”
To receive the refund, customers may present proof of purchase through a receipt or the product-packaging label.
Listeriosis can cause fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions sometimes preceded by diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms. An invasive infection spreads beyond the gastrointestinal tract. In pregnant women, the infection can cause miscarriages, stillbirths, premature delivery or life-threatening infection of the newborn. The very young, seniors and persons with weak immune systems are the most susceptible to foodborne illnesses.
Customers with questions about the recalled products may contact the Winn-Dixie Customer Call Center toll free at 1-866-946-6349.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Quapaw Canoe Company gains legislative support in battle with tax department
- Running with the big dogs — Hollywood Feed taking small-store feel to national level