Feds want tax preparers barred due to false tax returns
Published: October 30,2013
HOLLY SPRINGS — The federal government is asking a Mississippi judge to bar two tax preparers and their business from preparing tax returns for others.
The government made the request in a 13-page document filed in U.S. District Court in Oxford. It seeks the prohibition against Hardaway Taxx in Holly Springs and two individuals, Eric Hardaway, also known as Eric Brittenum, and Yvonne Hardaway.
The court website did not list an attorney for the two. A listing for the business said the number was not in service for incoming calls. Their home and cell numbers were not immediately available.
The government said Hardaway Taxx prepared 156 returns or amended returns in processing year 2012 that “claimed a false fuel tax credit, resulting in more than $321,000 of erroneous refunds.”
The fuel tax credit is available only to taxpayers who operate farm equipment or other off-highway business vehicles. The equipment or vehicles using the fuel must not be registered for highway uses.
In one example, the government said Eric Hardaway claimed someone purchased 3,500 gallons of gasoline in 2009 at an estimated cost of $10,500. But that person’s adjusted gross income was only $13,327.
The government also said the person would have “driven 35,000 miles — off-highway” to use that much fuel.
“This shows the blatantly fraudulent nature of Defendants’ preparation of federal income tax returns abusing the fuel tax credit,” the document said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- PHIL HARDWICK: When Bill Cooley talks, people listen
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MBJ Business Woman of the Year Top 10
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued