State records third West Nile virus death of season
Published: October 31,2013
FORREST COUNTY — The Mississippi State Department of Health says there’s been a third death in the state from the West Nile virus.
Health officials say the death was a Forrest County resident who was a previously reported human case.
The state total for 2013 is now 43 human cases, including three deaths. The other two deaths occurred in Forrest and Bolivar counties.
So far this year, cases have been reported in Adams, Bolivar, Forrest (6), Harrison, Hinds (12), Jones (2), Lamar (5), Leflore (2), Lincoln, Lowndes, Madison (3), Marion, Pike, Rankin (5) and Wayne counties. The MSDH only reports laboratory-confirmed cases to the public.
In 2012, Mississippi had 247 WNV cases and five deaths.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- McDaniel alleges GOP race-baiting; says party should be 'purged'
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Mississippi Power conducts successful tests at Kemper plant
- Seafood dealer/processor guilty of illegal handling of oysters
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K