New company buys two newspapers for undisclosed sum
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 4,2013
Tags: Boone Newspapers Inc., Carpenter Newsmedia LLC, Community Newspaper Holdings Inc., James B. Boone Jr., Linda Gilmore, media, newspaper, Picayune Newsmedia LLC, The Picayune Item, The Poplarville Democrat, Todd Carpenter
PICAYUNE and POPLARVILLE — Picayune Newsmedia, LLC, a new Mississippi entity wholly owned by Carpenter Newsmedia, LLC (CNL) has purchased The Picayune Item, The Poplarville Democrat and related publications from Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. (CNHI) of Montgomery, Ala.
CNL is an affiliate of Boone Newspapers Inc. (BNI) with offices in Natchez and Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Terms were not disclosed.
The sale ends more than a decade of operation of the newspapers by CNHI.
Linda Gilmore will continue at The Item and The Democrat as publisher. Todd Carpenter of Natchez is BNI’s president and COO and is principal owner of CNL. James B. Boone Jr., of Tuscaloosa is BNI’s chairman and CEO.
BNI started as Tuscaloosa Newspapers Inc. and purchased The Picayune Item in 1970 from the late Charles Nutter and his family. At that time The Item was published weekly. It was increased to twice weekly publication, then to daily during that ownership. The Poplarville Democrat was acquired several years later. Both were sold in 1980.
CNL has ownership in BNI affiliates in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia. Carpenter has been president and COO of BNI for the past nine years.
BNI owns and manages 46 newspapers in similar-sized communities that, in addition to those in which CNL has ownership interest, are in Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio. Operations near Picayune and Poplarville include The Brookhaven Daily Leader, The Natchez Democrat and The Vicksburg Post.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters