New company buys two newspapers for undisclosed sum
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 4,2013
Tags: Boone Newspapers Inc., Carpenter Newsmedia LLC, Community Newspaper Holdings Inc., James B. Boone Jr., Linda Gilmore, media, newspaper, Picayune Newsmedia LLC, The Picayune Item, The Poplarville Democrat, Todd Carpenter
PICAYUNE and POPLARVILLE — Picayune Newsmedia, LLC, a new Mississippi entity wholly owned by Carpenter Newsmedia, LLC (CNL) has purchased The Picayune Item, The Poplarville Democrat and related publications from Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. (CNHI) of Montgomery, Ala.
CNL is an affiliate of Boone Newspapers Inc. (BNI) with offices in Natchez and Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Terms were not disclosed.
The sale ends more than a decade of operation of the newspapers by CNHI.
Linda Gilmore will continue at The Item and The Democrat as publisher. Todd Carpenter of Natchez is BNI’s president and COO and is principal owner of CNL. James B. Boone Jr., of Tuscaloosa is BNI’s chairman and CEO.
BNI started as Tuscaloosa Newspapers Inc. and purchased The Picayune Item in 1970 from the late Charles Nutter and his family. At that time The Item was published weekly. It was increased to twice weekly publication, then to daily during that ownership. The Poplarville Democrat was acquired several years later. Both were sold in 1980.
CNL has ownership in BNI affiliates in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia. Carpenter has been president and COO of BNI for the past nine years.
BNI owns and manages 46 newspapers in similar-sized communities that, in addition to those in which CNL has ownership interest, are in Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio. Operations near Picayune and Poplarville include The Brookhaven Daily Leader, The Natchez Democrat and The Vicksburg Post.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force