New company buys two newspapers for undisclosed sum
by MBJ Staff
Published: November 4,2013
Tags: Boone Newspapers Inc., Carpenter Newsmedia LLC, Community Newspaper Holdings Inc., James B. Boone Jr., Linda Gilmore, media, newspaper, Picayune Newsmedia LLC, The Picayune Item, The Poplarville Democrat, Todd Carpenter
PICAYUNE and POPLARVILLE — Picayune Newsmedia, LLC, a new Mississippi entity wholly owned by Carpenter Newsmedia, LLC (CNL) has purchased The Picayune Item, The Poplarville Democrat and related publications from Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. (CNHI) of Montgomery, Ala.
CNL is an affiliate of Boone Newspapers Inc. (BNI) with offices in Natchez and Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Terms were not disclosed.
The sale ends more than a decade of operation of the newspapers by CNHI.
Linda Gilmore will continue at The Item and The Democrat as publisher. Todd Carpenter of Natchez is BNI’s president and COO and is principal owner of CNL. James B. Boone Jr., of Tuscaloosa is BNI’s chairman and CEO.
BNI started as Tuscaloosa Newspapers Inc. and purchased The Picayune Item in 1970 from the late Charles Nutter and his family. At that time The Item was published weekly. It was increased to twice weekly publication, then to daily during that ownership. The Poplarville Democrat was acquired several years later. Both were sold in 1980.
CNL has ownership in BNI affiliates in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia. Carpenter has been president and COO of BNI for the past nine years.
BNI owns and manages 46 newspapers in similar-sized communities that, in addition to those in which CNL has ownership interest, are in Minnesota, Michigan and Ohio. Operations near Picayune and Poplarville include The Brookhaven Daily Leader, The Natchez Democrat and The Vicksburg Post.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more