Bridge dedicated, named for late legislator
Published: November 7,2013
CHICKASAW COUNTY — A bridge in Chickasaw County will now be called the Representative William “Billy” E. Bowles Memorial Bridge.
WTVA-TV in Tupelo reports that the bridge was dedicated to the late Mississippi lawmaker in a ceremony yesterday in Houston.
The bridge is located west of Houston at the intersection of Mississippi Highways 8 and 15.
Bowles served 20 years in the Mississippi House. Bowles died in 2012 at the age of 78.
Bowles was a staunch support of small business and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- State’s MAGIC accounting system works, albeit with glitches
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium