Bridge dedicated, named for late legislator
Published: November 7,2013
CHICKASAW COUNTY — A bridge in Chickasaw County will now be called the Representative William “Billy” E. Bowles Memorial Bridge.
WTVA-TV in Tupelo reports that the bridge was dedicated to the late Mississippi lawmaker in a ceremony yesterday in Houston.
The bridge is located west of Houston at the intersection of Mississippi Highways 8 and 15.
Bowles served 20 years in the Mississippi House. Bowles died in 2012 at the age of 78.
Bowles was a staunch support of small business and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics