Bridge dedicated, named for late legislator
Published: November 7,2013
CHICKASAW COUNTY — A bridge in Chickasaw County will now be called the Representative William “Billy” E. Bowles Memorial Bridge.
WTVA-TV in Tupelo reports that the bridge was dedicated to the late Mississippi lawmaker in a ceremony yesterday in Houston.
The bridge is located west of Houston at the intersection of Mississippi Highways 8 and 15.
Bowles served 20 years in the Mississippi House. Bowles died in 2012 at the age of 78.
Bowles was a staunch support of small business and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years