Bridge dedicated, named for late legislator
Published: November 7,2013
CHICKASAW COUNTY — A bridge in Chickasaw County will now be called the Representative William “Billy” E. Bowles Memorial Bridge.
WTVA-TV in Tupelo reports that the bridge was dedicated to the late Mississippi lawmaker in a ceremony yesterday in Houston.
The bridge is located west of Houston at the intersection of Mississippi Highways 8 and 15.
Bowles served 20 years in the Mississippi House. Bowles died in 2012 at the age of 78.
Bowles was a staunch support of small business and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Cochran continues to question EPA over new regulations