Bridge dedicated, named for late legislator
Published: November 7,2013
CHICKASAW COUNTY — A bridge in Chickasaw County will now be called the Representative William “Billy” E. Bowles Memorial Bridge.
WTVA-TV in Tupelo reports that the bridge was dedicated to the late Mississippi lawmaker in a ceremony yesterday in Houston.
The bridge is located west of Houston at the intersection of Mississippi Highways 8 and 15.
Bowles served 20 years in the Mississippi House. Bowles died in 2012 at the age of 78.
Bowles was a staunch support of small business and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jackson’s Landmark Center slated for mixed-use conversion
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Race to the pump: Feds appear ready to beat state on new gas taxes
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Challenging times ahead for Pearl’s manufactured home residents, apartment complex owners
- Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- 3 dozen groups OK'd for Miss. specialty car tags
- Senate transportation chair seeks emergency money for roads, bridges